Swashbuckled: Perkins Pirates routed by Bishop Watterson Eagles, end season with 21 wins

MORNING JOURNAL/JIM BOBEL Perkins’ Nic Williams, center, goes up for a layup in the fourth quarter against Bishop Watterson in a Division II Regional Semifinal played at Bowling Green on Thursday. Bishop Watterson won the game, 53-34.

MORNING JOURNAL/JIM BOBEL Perkins’ Brandon Smith, center, goes up for a shot over Bishop Watterson defenders in the first quarter of a Division II Regional Semifinal on Thursday.

MORNING JOURNAL/JIM BOBEL Perkins’ Chase Green, center, battles for a rebound with Bishop Watterson in the fourth quarter in a Division II Regional Semifinal on Thursday.

MORNING JOURNAL/JIM BOBEL Perkin's Brandon Smith, right, knocks over Bishop Watterson's Andy Grieser in the second quarter. Smith was called for the charging foul.

BOWLING GREEN — After Perkins’ victory Saturday over Toledo Scott, coach Scott McVeigh said his team hadn’t had a game where their shooting was off the entire 32 minutes.

Now they have.

Unfortunately for the Pirates, it couldn’t have come at a worse time than in the Division II Bowling Green Regional Semifinal against Bishop Watterson. Perkins was simply out-played and fell 53-34.

“I think it was a little bit of our having an off night, but also Watterson’s defensive pressure,” McVeigh said. “We have to give them credit. They’re a heck of a defensive team. We didn’t execute as well as I would have like to.”

For the second straight game, the Pirates had a terrible start offensively. Saturday afternoon they went nearly the first six minutes of the game without scoring a point. Thursday night wasn’t much better.

The Eagles’ defensive pressure enabled them to open the first four minutes of the game with an 11-2 run. After Perkins called a timeout, senior Brandon Smith threw his team on his shoulders and began chipping away at the Watterson lead.

Smith scored the next five points of the game to get Perkins back in the game. For much of the first half, he was the only offense the Pirates could muster, scoring their first 11 points.

“The only thing I didn’t like about the way we played tonight was we gave (Smith) a little too much room on his drives early in the game,” Bishop Watterson coach Vince Lombardo said. “I thought we tightened that up as the game progressed, because he had nine points early.”

The Eagles tightened up on Smith, mostly by double-teaming him for the remainder of the game. Smith still finished the game with a team-high 18 points.

“I just don’t think we were ready. Brandon’s got enough vision to get the ball to where it needs to go,” McVeigh said. “We had guys that just weren’t ready to catch, be aggressive and score. We had some opportunities after they start double teaming Brandon to make some plays and finish some easy ones and we didn’t, for whatever reason.”

With Perkins’ main offensive threat neutralized, Bishop Watterson’s two-pronged attack of Andy Grieser and Cody Calhoun were able to take over the game.

In the first half, Grieser paced Watterson with 12 points. In the second half, the Pirates began concentrating on him and held him scoreless, but it allowed Calhoun to catch fire.

Calhoun finished the game with 14 points, 12 of which came in the second half.

“All five of our guys on the court a capable of scoring at any time,” Calhoun said. “That helps us with each game. We’ll have a different leading scorer each game, it seems. I’ll be the leading scorer one game, Grieser will the next.

“It just makes it difficult for the opposing defense to stop all of us.”

The game got out of hand quickly in the second half, as the Pirates began pressing, and thus making more and more mistakes.

Perkins finished the game just shooting 35 percent from the field, compared to Watterson’s 48 percent, thanks in large part to a second half where the Eagles shot 55 percent from the floor.

The Eagles also dominated the glass, pulling down 28 rebounds, while the Pirates only managed 18. Watterson was also extremely effective on the offensive glass, grabbing nine offensive boards, which its turned into 13 second chance points.

“For whatever reason, I think we got a little passive tonight,” McVeigh said. “Anytime you get passive and start thinking, especially when you’re down, you start forcing some things. I think that was a big part of it tonight.”

As they started pressing more and more, Perkins also began turning the ball over. They finished the game with 15 turnovers, which turned into 17 points for the Eagles.

“You do that against a good team, and you’re not going to be successful,” McVeigh said.

Perkins finishes the season with a record of 21-6 after the loss, while Watterson (25-1) advances to Saturday’s regional final at the Stroh Center.

Bishop Watterson 53, Perkins 34

Division II Bowling Green Regional Semifinal

BISHOP WATTERSON — Bryan Jackson 2-1 5, Cody Calhoun 4-4 14, Andy Grieser 4-2 12, Matt Lehmann 3-2 8, Matt Hughes 5-2 12, Greg Jacknewitz 1-0 2. TOTALS 19-11 53.

PERKINS — Brandon Smith 7-2 18, Nic Williams 2-3 7, Chase Green 1-1 3, Kyle Lewis 2-0 4, Cameron Waldock 0-2 2. TOTALS 12-8 34.

3-POINT GOALS — BW: Calhoun (2), Grieser (2); P: Smith (2).

Score By Quarters

Bishop Watterson (25-1) 15 9 12 17 — 53

Perkins (21-6) 9 6 9 10 — 34

Team Statistics

Field Goals — Bishop Watterson 19 of 40 (48 percent), Perkins 12 of 34 (35 percent).

Free Throws — BW 11 of 18 (61 percent), P 8 of 10 (80 percent).

Rebounds — BW 28 (Hughes 7), P 18 (Williams 4).

Turnovers — BW 10, P 15.

Last Updated: 3/14/2013 11:17:42 PM EST

From the Bleachers

See All